No place for faint-hearted

By DOUG GOULD THE GAZETTE Updated: January 31, 2006 at 12:00 am • Published: January 31, 2006
A second-period change in goaltenders, a momentum-altering goal by the state’s leading scorer, and a sudden-death score by a wing playing with a broken finger all figured prominently in Rampart’s 5-4 overtime victory over Regis on Monday at Sertich Ice Center. Kyle Ochsie, a senior who broke a finger on his right hand earlier in the week, scored on a 2-0 breakaway with 49.6 seconds remaining in the extra session to give Rampart (10-7, 7-3 Mountain Conference) a league victory and a sweep of its two-game season series with Regis. The outcome snapped a five-game winning streak by the Raiders (11-4, 5-3). “Kyle is cut from a different cloth,” Rampart coach Glenn McIntosh said. “You would think he’d go in and deke and shoot and score. But there’s another drummer out there, and Kyle marches to that.” “I was aware I had the room and I had the player there, but I knew the goalie’s been giving up rebounds all night,” Ochsie said. “So, I figured I was just going to shoot, and there was a double chance of us getting that rebound. I saw the opening and just tucked it in.” Regis coach Dan Woodley was both gracious and philosophical in defeat. “I’m not disappointed with anything other than the outcome, but it’s like a test for us,” Woodley said. “Rampart is going to go far in the state championships. They are going to be very hard to beat. But if we do our job and play as well as we can, maybe we‘ll get an opportunity to meet them again.” It appeared early as if the Raiders would pass with honor-roll marks, scoring a pair of first-period goals in a 50-second span. Greg Davis batted in the first of his two goals at 4:57 and Corbin Fitzgibbons followed with a backhander past Rampart freshman goaltender Seth Thompson at 5:47. In reality, there were 12 min-utes between scores. Referee Brian Potter was cut with a stick blade above his left eye during the center-ice faceoff after the Davis goal. Potter was bandaged at rinkside, and able to walk off before being transported to Memorial Hospital where he received stitches. Linesmen Bob Chmielewski and Scott Bruton took over Potter’s roll and sent John Booren off for boarding at 8:10. That enabled Donald Geary, pacing Colorado players with 26 goals and 35 points coming into the game, to tuck in a wraparound shot with 16 seconds remaining on the power play. Defenseman David Cole sent a 50-foot shot past Carrig to tie it 71 seconds later, but defenseman Lucas Boyd regained the lead for Regis at the 12:16 mark. McIntosh changed goaltenders after the first period, inserting freshman Jeremy Byrns, who saved 15 of the 16 shots he faced over the next 37:10.
Comment Policy
Colorado Springs Gazette has disabled the comments for this article.


Mostly Sunny
36° current 38° low



Like us on Facebook